Herrera is seeking a Scientist to join our team. Our company provides a diverse range of engineering and environmental services to cities, counties, state and federal agencies, and private clients throughout the Pacific Northwest. This position supporting our water practice area is hourly, part-time.
Specifically, responsibilities and tasks for this position include:
- Working with materials and equipment in the lab and in the field to set up experiments and field monitoring (including building rigs for lab experiments and field monitoring).
- Taking water quality samples and flow measurements in the lab and in the field. Field sampling may include nights and weekends during storm events as necessary.
- Calibrating and cleaning instruments and experimental rigs.
- Carefully and precisely recording activities and measurements in the lab and in the field.
- Experience programming, installing, and maintaining field instruments for water quality and flow monitoring (e.g., ISCO automated samplers and flow meters).
- Transporting water quality samples to regional labs (must have a current driver’s license).
- Miscellaneous tasks to complete lab studies and field monitoring.
- Managing collected data using spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel) or a database (SQL, Microsoft Access).
Qualified candidates will be pursuing or possess a Bachelor’s degree in environmental science or related discipline; or have 1 - 3 years of related experience. Must have strong team interaction skills. Field experience collecting water quality or other environmental data and calibrating equipment is highly desirable. Attention to detail and ability to organize and compile observations and data is critical. The candidate must have excellent listening skills, ability to carry out detailed instructions as well as think creatively to carry out lab and field monitoring assignments. Carrying and lifting materials and equipment up to 40 pounds typical in the lab or field. Local applicants only.
Application Deadline: September 20, 2019
Herrera is a Pacific Northwest leader in ecosystem restoration, sustainable development, and water resources protection. We recruit individuals who share our values and are dedicated to making a difference. With integrity, objectivity and a strong environmental ethic, we are proud of our positive contribution to our communities, environment, and our employees.
We invest in each team member to drive the success of our company. We develop lasting relationships with each other and with our clients. Our results-driven, collaborative culture is key to our continued success in developing innovative solutions for clients in the Northwest and across the globe.
If you want more than a “job” and want to join our family of employee-owners who are engineers, scientists, planners, and technical support specialists, as well as skiers/snowboarders, parents, musicians, tri- athletes, gardeners, scrap bookers, runners, knitters, hikers, climbers, birders, fishermen, cyclists….. please apply. We have a casual, cohesive and caring work environment. We offer excellent opportunities to develop your career and competitive compensation, including an attractive retirement package.
To learn more, please visit our website at: www.herrerainc.com
To be successful, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Herrera provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. Herrera does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
We encourage women, minorities, veterans, disabled veterans, and the disabled to apply for this position.